Tips for how to ride a motorbike in Vietnam
- It would be not safe if you ride pooly and have no riding experience before. Safety must be your primary concern.
- Wearing a helmet when riding a motorbike is the law in Vietnam, make sure you get a standard helmet.
- Ride on the right hand sight.
- Bigger vehicles have right; you better give way to them, it doesn’t take anything
- Do not ride when you are tired or sleepy.
- Use the horn when you want to get over someone or notice the other direction vehicles, people won’t be annoyed.
- Ride slowly and confidently; look carefully and use signal light when you want to turn into side street or change direction.
- Keep distance when riding behind big vehicles.
- Ride slow when passing a school or a market.
- Respect the locals and their distintive culture. If someone (especialy kids) wave at you, please smile and wave back, they would be happy.
- Be careful with the animals both sides of the road.
- Maximum 2 people on a bike.
- If there is a problem, assume that you are the one who is most likely in the wrong.
- Unless you crash or do something stupid the police will take no interest in you.
- Last but not the least: never drink when you ride
Happy and safe travels